Tuesday, May 14, 2019

Worried About Work?

YouTube
Dog Sit and Walk with Rover

I am.

I have been worrying about work a lot lately, to be honest. I know I've got some time with one more year of college and probably a couple years of grad school, but it will fly by. People ask me all the time what I want to do with my degrees, and I don't have a definite answer. That is frustrating. I don't want people to think I'm aimlessly going about my life and looking for something easy, just going to stay in school forever for a good time, or other things that might make me sound lazy or whatever my brain is afraid of. Maybe I do love school, and maybe I don't know exactly what I want to do after that. But I do know that God opens doors at the right time, and He will guide me on paths that will eventually get me to some doors. They won't all be right, and I may go in and out of a few before I find a home (literally, too?), but I have to keep my head up and keep walking (running?) in order to find any doors. God rewards faith and action, not fear and apathy. Things don't happen without some trust and trying.


Today my devotion hit on this topic like it has related to my situations so many times. I have picked up these little booklets from a desk at church a couple times over the years, and it is just a small, daily devotion, but they have made some of the biggest impacts in my days. It doesn't have to say that much when it says the right thing. I'm not on the "right" days by the calendar, but buddy I am on the "right" days in God's calendar! It is like a quote calendar lined up with days of the week and months and seasons of the year, but a devotion calendar lined up with the happenings of my life: the author knew what would be coming at the time I would be reading it. 

Aka there's a God, and He is always working for our good.

Sunday, July 29th 2018 was titled "Giving and Receiving" with the verse Luke 6:38, "Give, and it shall be given to you." 
Quick outline of the ways it related to me throughout the passage: loving to give but having fear of what will be left for myself, seeds and harvest, the people and business making claims that we act on, God's promises that can't fail

Honestly we like and support a lot of people and things. How many causes and pages do you "like" on Facebook? How many people do you see doing good things and think, "Aw, I'm so glad they're doing that!" but don't give any support beyond that? How many activities does your church put on that you pray for but don't give a dollar or volunteer time? I know I'm guilty. We just have fear of actually doing something for what we believe in. We fear failure. That's human nature. It's also what Satan uses to hold us back.

Sometimes we have to invest before we can reap any benefits. Without taking a step, we can miss the great opportunities that can come from where we do something. So you talk to someone, oh look, now you have a lunch partner. You go to a volunteer event, you find a new favorite pastime. You give to the love offering on Sunday, your husband surprises you with your favorite snack and coffee at work the next day. Sometimes these things work out simply, and sometimes they lead to much greater things. Anyways, the world needs more godly people to step up and make a difference.



I've been worried a lot about work lately, both for this summer and for my future. I know I need money to save up and have to start out a life, and I need a job later on to keep things going, but I just don't know what I want to do, what will be the best use of my time and talents. But I can't worry so much about reaching for these things that I miss what is right here in front of me. The devotion mentioned banks, people, and businesses that make claims and promises for money, services, and products that may or may not actually work out or amount to much, but we jump right at the chance to get them. Let's be honest, people are so unreliable (so we can step up and be reliable people!). But God promises to bless us for our work, and there is not a single economic issue, law, person, weather, location, or anything that can thwart His plans! Why do we not put ourselves into His work more than the worldly things?

This is what I needed to hear today. In my indecision, trust Him. In my between times, look for what I can do with the situation. When I get an opportunity, try to see it through His eyes. No matter where I go or what I do, I can work for God, and His blessings will not fail. That's why I took the time to write this post today.



Here are some more verses on this topic!

"Whatever you do, work at it with all your heart, as working for the Lord, not men...it is the Lord Christ you are serving." Colossians 3:23-24

"May the favor of the Lord our God rest upon us; establish the work of our hands for us." Psalm 90:17

"'For I know the plans I have for you,' declares the Lord, 'plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future.'" Jeremiah 29:11

"Commit to the Lord whatever you do, and your plans will succeed." Proverbs 16:3

"Let us not become weary in doing good, for at the proper time we will reap a harvest if we do not give up." Galatians 6:9


No comments:

Post a Comment