Sunday, July 1, 2018

Global Running Day--Dad's Here--Read and Pray

Instagram
  Strava


I got to celebrate global running day in style by running in a new and favorite sports bra down the beach in the beautiful sun! It was a longer run than I had planned, but I got so far and was so close to the pier that I just went on. I'm glad I did; it felt like a great accomplishment, and I got to see a cute, young lifeguard that took my picture. I got his phone number, but only because I sent myself the picture from his phone. But hey, a girl can dream. 
Running on the beach is a challenge for many reasons (I even read an article about it in the most recent Runner's World that afternoon--this was not planned, but God works in neat ways!). Your muscles have to work way harder to keep you stable and push forward since the sand is so much looser than grass or pavement. Even on the packed part that seems like a dirt path, you get a tougher workout. That's what I do; that loose stuff is killer when I have to go up and around a couple water run-offs. I think I could walk faster. There is also more wind being close to the water and no shade! However, this didn't feel too bad. I also don't like really long out-and-back with no turns, but this one didn't seem monotonous. I guess I will call it beach bliss.


It turned out to be a super hot day again, and it was one we were staying out long and staying at the hotel. Dad was on his way, and he got there by lunch time even leaving later than Mom and I do (we say he drives blazing fast, but I wouldn't want that drive ahead of me alone either). He took a picture of me and Mom since we didn't get one our whole time of being there just us! (And this has become my new favorite bathing suit! Who says you have to pay big bucks? Mom got this for me for Easter at Walmart.) After sitting so long for the drive, he and Mom took a walk, so I held down the fort at our chairs and umbrella.
I usually would do my Bible study before lunch to get a positive start that I could keep in my mind for motivation the rest of the day. Another day in the Now booklet, the first section put an emphasis on meditating on God's Word. I can attest after many solitary moments in some recent years' struggles, the Word was all I had. In despair, it brought me hope and courage. Looking back, I honestly don't know how I did it other than God's power filled me up. It's something that the right words at the right time can do way more than any tangible thing. You can't buy or create your own peace, but God can speak it to you in His Word. It's one of those things that the same verse can mean something different to you at different points in life; it never gets old. There are always new things to learn and new perspectives to gain. The more I read, the more I want to; it's a good kind of addiction, a habit, one that I need to get into more of again! Just like any habit, reading the Bible and prayer (which was the next thing) are slow to start and keep up regularly, but once you do, it is easier and easier! The Bible speaks of reading it and keeping it in our hearts and on our minds to guide our lives (Joshua 1:8, Psalm 119:11, Psalm 119:105 and more), and the Word also speaks of prayer (Philippians 4:6, Colossians 4:2, 1 Thessalonians 5:17 and more). Jesus outlined it for us (Matthew 6:9-13) and set an example in His own prayer life (Luke 22:39-44). Both of them can soften our hearts to our situations and open our eyes to see more of what God has in store for us. Reading the Bible and prayer don't have to be a certain way or fake or habitual. It is how we develop a relationship with the Lord. You don't make friends by following some guide or step-by-step plan, and that's not how you have to relate to God. He wants us to be honest. He already knows everything, so why try to be something that you're not? Just talk to Him. Something about prayer--it doesn't mean that God will give you what you want, but He will give you the power to do whatever you need in the situation.

For the afternoon, I made a pina colada parfait with a drink and blended pineapple, cereal, and chickpeas. But then I spilled some in the sand...Having all afternoon and even longer gave me a ton of sun time, which has now left me losing my tan and a little depressed without the sun and warmth since it has rained basically every day since we got back. I got to read parts from several different websites, magazines, a book, did a lot of word searches, and found some unplanned things to look at along the way! Not having obligations weighing me down felt so good...it was actually a strange feeling, but it was so good. My flavored and energy-helping drink of the day was a Lifewater! Placebo effect was at work by simply telling myself "Drinking Lifewater today because I'm dying in this heat," and it helped.

Mom and Dad moved their smaller chairs down to the water after the lifeguard took up his chairs and umbrellas, and I laid on our blanket. Not that we had anywhere to be, but it was after 6:00, and we were planning to order pizza and wings to be delivered! It is from the best pizza place in Myrtle Beach, and delivery takes longer, so I didn't want it to get too late. Luckily, after we chatted a little longer and went up to the room to order, it would only be about 45 minutes since it was a Wednesday and not as busy. Good planning, Kenz.
I was SO happy that Dad agreed to bike to Dunkin with me while we waited! We used to go to Dunkin a lot when I was in high school after some of my weekend runs, so this was a fun little trip. (There's a post about my Dunkin days, too.) After we got back, I jumped in the shower, but the food beat me! As soon as I opened the door, it smelled so good...Not that I am a pizza person, but Ultimate California Pizza makes one that is superb. Mom and Dad like basic extra cheese, pepperoni, and sausage, so I usually get my own creation, but it is more expensive, so to save some money and try something new, I got mango habanero wings! This is a great beach thing to do...spend all day out, eat in the room (in bed to make it better), relax, and watch one of your family's favorite shows (Big Bang Theory) and the NBA playoffs (Go Warriors). These are the little things that make my heart so happy.


No comments:

Post a Comment