Tuesday, August 6, 2019

"More Than Anything" --Songs and Scripture Series



I’m not going to lie, this song is kind of depressing, BUT it is also full of hope. While it can be scary to think that our negative situations may not change, it is encouraging to know that the deep-down things that truly matter are already taken care of. It is a tough concept to grasp, but it can help calm a lot of fears in the unknown. (Fear of the unknown is one of my biggest challenges.)





I know if you wanted to You could wave Your hand
Spare me this heartache and change Your plan
I know any second You could take my pain away
But even if You don’t, I pray
…You know more than anyone that my flesh is weak
And You know I’d give anything for a remedy
I’ll ask a thousand more times to set me free today
But even if You don’t, I pray
…When I’m desperate and my heart’s overcome
All that I need, You’ve already done
…Help me want the Healer more than the healing
Help me want the Savior more than the saving
Help me want the Giver more than the giving
Oh, help me want You Jesus, more than anything


Over the years, this idea has come up in my life through various situations, most profoundly when I’ve had to remind myself that I will be just fine if I can never run again. Being honest, that is also one of the scariest things I’ve had to tell myself. It’s been basically my life for so long, but I know that sometimes that is how God works. His plans are not always what I expect or hope.

Balance. What a concept.

Hope and reality. Desire and contentment. Perseverance and acceptance. Work and patience. Just to name a few.

It is easy to begin to lose hope when things go downhill, especially when multiple things start to snowball. Even with a strong faith, the hard love facts of this faith can be depressing. “God might take away my greatest treasures? Why would He do such a thing? If He loves me, He will keep me happy; He will heal me. Life will be good. What kind of a God makes bad things happen?” These are all questions that people both new and mature in their faith may ask in times of trial, and it’s real. Why would God take away what we love? Because He wants us to love Him more. He has a greater plan to use us beyond what we are comfortable with.

I get stressed when I think that my life may never be the same in a variety of circumstances. For example, with injury, I can cling to the hope that He has the power to heal anything beyond what seems humanly possible, but I also have to come to terms that He may not. He had the power to take Jesus down from that cross and save His own Son from death, but He didn’t. Why should I, a sinner, expect anything better than Jesus, His perfect Son? He has a plan for our pain. Just as Jesus rose again to save the world, there is a greater purpose beyond the pain I go through.

While I can’t ignore the fact that things may not get better, I can’t lose hope in the fact that they can. And through it all, I have Jesus, and that’s all that matters. I have all I need because my eternity is secure in heaven.

Through my trials of life, I have grown closer to God and more satisfied with my life than I ever could have if things always went smoothly. I didn’t get all the opportunities that I had thought of or hoped for, but I got some that changed my perspective and made an impact on others’ lives in ways that would not have happened if things went my way.


What God’s Word Says:

“For nothing is impossible with God.” Luke 1:37

“The spirit is willing, but the body is weak.” Matthew 26:41

“My flesh and my heart may fail, but God is the strength of my heart and my portion forever.” Psalm 73:26

“…he faced the fact that his body was as good as dead…yet he did not waver through unbelief regarding the promise of God, but was strengthened in his faith and gave glory to God, being fully persuaded that God had power to do what He had promised…not for him alone, but also for us…” Romans 4:19-25

“Heal me, O Lord, and I will be healed. Save me, and I will be saved, for You are the One I praise.” Jeremiah 17:14

“See now that I Myself am He! There is no god besides Me. I put to death and bring to life. I have wounded, and I will heal, and no one can deliver out of My Hand.” Deuteronomy 32:39

“You restored me to health and let me live. Surely it was for my benefit that I suffered such anguish. In Your love, You kept me from the pit of destruction; You have put all my sins behind Your back.” Isaiah 38:16-17

“And my God will meet all your needs according to the riches of His glory in Christ Jesus.” Philippians 4:19

“There is a time for everything and a season for every activity under the heavens.” Ecclesiastes 3:1

“Lord, be gracious to us; we long for You. Be our strength every morning, our salvation in time of distress.” Isaiah 33:2

“Come to Me, all you who are weary and burdened, and I will give you rest. Take My yoke upon you and learn from Me, for I am gentle and humble in heart, and you will find rest for your souls. For My yoke is easy, and My burden is light.” Matthew 11:28-30

“The righteous cry out, and the Lord hears them; He delivers them from all their troubles. The Lord is close to the brokenhearted and saves those who are crushed in spirit.” Psalm 34:17-18

“I know what it is to be in need, and I know what it is to have plenty. I have learned the secret of being content in any and every situation, whether well fed or hungry, whether living in plenty or in want. I can do all things through Christ who gives me strength.” Philippians 4:12-13

“Keep your lives free from the love of money, and be content with what you have, because God has said, ‘Never will I leave you; never will I forsake you.’” Hebrews 13:5

“But godliness with contentment is great gain. For we brought nothing into the world, and we can take nothing out of it.” 1 Timothy 6:6-7

“Though an army besiege me, my heart will not fear; though war break out against me, even then I will be confident.” Psalm 27:3

“My sacrifice, O God, is a broken spirit; a broken and contrite heart you, God, will not despise.” Psalm 51:17

“…Father, if it is possible, may this cup be taken from me. Yet not as I will, but as You will.” Matthew 26:39

“Now to Him who is able to do immeasurably more than all we ask or imagine, according to His power that is at work within us, to Him be glory forever and ever! Amen.” Ephesians 3:20-21

“But He said to me, ‘My grace is sufficient for you, for My power is made perfect in weakness.’ Therefore, I will boast all the more gladly about my weaknesses, so that Christ’s power may rest on me.” 2 Corinthians 12:9

“Look to the Lord and His strength; seek His face always.” 1 Chronicles 16:11

“Sovereign Lord, You have made the heavens and the earth by Your great power and outstretched arm. Nothing is too hard for You.” Jeremiah 32:17



No comments:

Post a Comment