Wednesday, January 6, 2016

Like a Baby Shower, and College is the Baby + Ethos Message

Instagram

After finally deciding that I was going to accept the offer to run in college at Lipscomb, I signed during the early period in the fall to make it official!
I also will use this post since it's all about Lipscomb, to go back to what I wanted to share from when I went to Ethos church on my visit!  It was the perfect message for me at the time, so I can't help but share.  
One of the greatest feelings in life is experiencing God at work.  It's one of those things that just blows your mind and leaves you in awe, yet longing for more.
After a tough race on Saturday and a long run the next day (an hour or so before church), I was feeling so tired, sore, weak, and just in pain from all the business life had thrown at me!  During the opening part of service, God brought the words of Matthew 26:41 to my mind, so I looked it up and wrote it down.  "Watch and pray so that you will not fall into temptation.  The spirit is willing, but the body is weak."  Not even five minutes later, the speaker started preaching on the exact same passage, just the version by Mark in chapter 14.  Now, if that wasn't God at work, I don't know what is.  That is no coincidence.  (Mark 14:38, "Watch and pray so that you will not fall into temptation.  The spirit is willing but the flesh is weak.")  Starting in verse 32, Jesus was praying in the garden of Gethsemane.  The sermon was focused on the model Jesus set here of how to approach The Father. 
1) His Preface-Though His circumstances were overwhelming--He was about to be killed!--Jesus still had unwavering faith.
2) His petition-Because He knew it would be such a terrible death, He asked God to let it pass if at all possible.  Even more than that, He asked that God's will be done in any way.
3) His posture-totally submitted, humble, and trusting
This was really motivating for me because I could feel God comforting me in my stress and uncertainty.  I was encouraged remembering all that my Savior has done for me.  I can't waiver when God's will conflicts with my ways.  Jesus didn't die the death of a martyr; He died the death of a Messiah!  Because he died in agony, we can live and die in joy!
Another thing that really stood out to me was a picture frame over my host Clare's bed.  It said Embrace the Journey, which combines two of my favorite sayings:  Joy in the Journey and Embrace the Race!  (That also goes with something else in my life that is a secret until May, but just know that it correlates!) 
These small signs from God are everywhere.  Pray for you eyes and heart to be opened to them in your own life!


One of my friends Will signed to play baseball at UT at the beginning of early signing period, and they almost like a party with cake and pictures and people got out of class and off work to come!  I talked to his mom, and that gave me encouragement to celebrate, too!  A couple friends and I got to talking about it, and we described it like a baby shower, a small party to celebrate something that isn't quite here yet.  It's like college was the baby!  We're celebrating it, but I'm just not there yet.
 
After state we went to Lipscomb to buy some shirts to wear until I actually got to college and they give me all kinds of gear.  This is the sweatshirt I got, so it's kinda dressy,too.



I was so excited once we got things planned, and I invited lots of people from inside and outside of school.  Even though some people had to work, a lot got off to come!  Mom and Dad both did, of course, and all my coaches came.



I wanted to have little snacks too, since it was around lunchtime, so we decided on some that would match the Lipscomb colors!  We ordered some dark chocolate truffles with a couple different fillings--peanut butter, hazelnut, or espresso--from Yummy Cakes in downtown.  The grapes and pineapple were my color coordinating colors, too!



Thanks for the sweet snapchat, Emily.



It was really last minute, but they pulled it off just in time!

I think truffles are some of the prettiest little treats.



They were a hit, too!  I barely got any myself!  We didn't have any left to take home.

I've always been a daddy's girl.  Only now I have more hair.

Thanks to Matt Daniels who came to do pictures and a fantastic interview for the newspaper!

I really mean it when I say that I wouldn't be where I am without the people around me.  All the prayers, support, laughter, encouragement, and bits of grace that I've been given so often mean so much to me, especially looking back.  I love these people so much!  God has worked wonders in my life, and I've changed so much, but I'm so thankful for it.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment