Tuesday, July 23, 2019

Why I Jumped on the Trendy Train

Shop and Save with ibotta

Following the latest health and fitness trends is not always a good idea, but after some serious knots in my back and glute caused some unbearble pain that kept me from walking, I needed some relief. The physical therapist I started going to proposed a solution that I had only heard little and knew even less about--dry needling.
I didn't know what to expect, but I can't put into words how thankful I am that I decided to try it. After the first day, only five needles, the transformation in my pain and movement was night and day. It wasn't gone, but I could freely walk without crying and only a slight limp, while that morning I was in tears with most steps and could barely walk into the clinic. 

What is a trigger point?
Trigger points are typically caused from repetitive use or acute trauma that damages tissues. This creates inflammation, causes tissues go into a protective state, inhibits circulation, limits oxygen and blood flow, and prevents waste from leaving the area. This congestion of tissues causes what is commonly known as a muscle knot. They can also cause scar tissue and put pressure on nerves. Trigger points can be painful in their own area as well as cause referred pain to another part of the body. In my case, the knots in my glute felt funny, but the sharp pains were referred to my SI joint (lower spine and hip areas).

What is TDN (Trigger Point Dry Needling)?
Trigger point dry needling, TDN, is called "dry" because the needles have nothing in them that is injected like with a shot. The needle itself is the treatment. The very thin filament needles are inserted into the skin and muscle to release myofascial trigger points. The needles can be of various lengths and left in the body for various amounts of time. Mine were 60 mm (about 2.4 inches long) and were left in for generally three to ten minutes.
When the needle goes into the muscle, it can cut between three to fifteen thousand individual muscle fibers. The body will react to the needle as if it is a foreign invader, triggering inflammation and immune responses in the area and throughout the body to further accelerate relief.

Does it hurt?
The needles are inserted into a contracted, painful muscle to create a local twitch reflex. Patients may not even feel the needle break the skin--I never did. When a twitch is elicited, it can produce a very brief pain that patients usually describe as an ache or cramp-like feeling. These twitches and little pains are good! That is the sign of the knot breaking up. My PT and I both knew when she hit the right spot. I would flinch a bit and feel a sudden jump in my muscle, like a small spasm, but within a split second, that pain was gone and I couldn't feel anything again. When the muscles or skin were tighter, they would kind of hold onto the needle, and I could feel it sort of slide when they were removed, but there was never any real pain in my hip or all the way up my back.
Are there side effects?
Dry needling can cause soreness and occasional bruising. You may also get dizzy or nauseas, but that can be more psychological than physical, especially if you are squeemish. Luckily for me, I was lying down for all my needle sessions, and I could not see what was going on since it was on my back and hip. I experienced intial soreness, especially in the areas that had a big twitch, but this went away within an hour or so if not sooner. I also never bruised even though a pain-relief shot the week before had left me bruised!

What ailments can TDN help with?
A large variety of pains can be eased, including, neck, back, shoulder, knee, hip, glute, chronic pains; tennis elbow; headaches; tendonitis; plantar fasciitis; sciatica; and sprains.

Where I stand
On both legs! While dry needling is a relatively new practice, it is one trend that I have experienced success with firsthand from some of the worst pain I have ever been in. I was able to start cross training the day after my first needling. After each day I had this done, there was tremendous progress. I was so fascinated with both how I couldn't feel such long needles going so deep into my muscles and how effective it was at releasing my knots and pain. They were so happy about my progress, but my parents probably got annoyed with me telling them all about it. Now, exactly four weeks from the onset of my muscle spasms, I can do all my daily activities with no pain and have been able to add in running again. It will still be a slow comeback into full training, but I can't imagine how long it would take if I had not jumpstarted healing with dry needling. Unspeakably thankful, I will proudly toot the horn of the trendy train for TDN.


If you are having tightness pains that other methods are not helping, I highly recommend it! A limited number of physicians are certified with this new technique, but it is important to find someone who is qualified.




1 comment:

  1. Hey I have read your article and that helped me to write my article about rhinoplasty procedure you must have a check on my article.

    ReplyDelete