Monday, August 5, 2013

1 Corinthians

Parts of this book have been hitting me hard as I make my way through the chapters.  I really liked chapter 4, titled Apostles of Christ.  It humbled me, and that is what I needed with school starting and the cross country season getting into full swing.
"I care very little if I am judged by you or by any human court...it is The Lord who judges me." 1 Corinthians 4:3-4
This is what Paul said speaking of himself.  This is how I also should live because when we are in Christ, we are not held under human's judgment.  We are all sinner, and God is the only one who knows everything to the very depths, therefore He is the only one who can make sound judgments.  When we are living for Christ, we don't have to worry about what others say about us.
"For who makes you different from anyone else?  What do you have that you did not receive?  And if you did receive it, why do you boast as though you did not?"  1 Corinthians 4:7
This book tells a lot about how we are not our own, but that we belong to Christ.  I would be nothing without Him.  I am a human being, sinner, like everyone else.  Everything I have, every possession, talent, opportunity, and just life is a gift from God.  There is no reason for me to be proud or boast in anything.  Everything I have was given to me, I did not earn it.  So when people see me out in the world, I want them to be able to see God's work being done, not attention being drawn to me.
"Do you not know that your body is a temple of the Holy Spirit, who is in you, whom you have received from God?   You are not your own; you were bought at a price.  Therefore honor God with your body."  1 Corinthians 6:19-20
I was given the Holy Spirit to live in me and guide me.  I was bought by Christ at the price of death on a cross; that is what has given me everything I have, not my own works.  God gave me this body and my abilities to be a tool for Him, so this really hits me as a runner.  Every race, people see me running.  They are watching how I respond to situations.  I want everything I say and do to be pointing to the One who gave me the ability.  To honor God with my body in this situation would be to give everything I have to do my best and let Him take care of the rest.  My attitude will show people His love.  I must use every step of my life to reflect who He is, and stay humble; He gives me all I truly need.  My goal is to lift Him higher.

No comments:

Post a Comment