Sunday, August 18, 2013

Remember the Gift Giver

My youth group at church has started a little study book recently called Don't Waste Your Sports.  It is all about using the gifts God has given us to glorify Him and make known to the world His love, mercy, salvation, and everything about Him.  It is so challenging, and I'm loving it so far!  It is a small, pocket-sized book, so it can be toted anywhere!  I hope to share bits and pieces of what I learn as I go.
The chapter I just read was titled Play to the Glory of God.  There was a great analogy about how when we are young kids, our parents always told us at birthdays and holidays to open the cards (usually first), and thank the person who gave that gift.  Before we get started using what we've been given, we need to pray to thank God for that gift.  Mahaney says this: 
“The gift doesn’t reinforce selfishness; it draws attention to the Giver.”  We shouldn't go through the day tearing the wrapping paper off one gift after another forgetting to read the card.  Ingratitude is a sin, and an insult to God.  This is what has hit me really hard.  Humbly using my gifts I've been given is an act of worship to God!

No comments:

Post a Comment