Saturday, June 28, 2014

Choosing the Eternal Over the Temporal

Oh no!  I just found this in my drafts, but I don't know why it never got posted!  It is all the way from a Sunday in April!
This is one of my favorite passages in all of the Bible, probably because I need reminding of it so often, and it is so applicable to my life.  Here are some highlights from the sermon my preacher did on it a while back.

Pastor Dean's sermon:  Sunday, April 6th, 2014.  Series:  The Greatest Sermon Ever Preached
Scripture Text:  Matthew 6:19-34
First Baptist Church Morristown, TN

1 Timothy 6:6-The key to happiness is contentment.

"For where your treasure is, there your heart will be also." Matthew 6:21
-When I truly love something/someone, I won't mind spending my money on it/him/her.
"No one can serve two masters; for either he will hate the one and love the other, or else he will be loyal to one and despise the other."  Matthew 6:24
-Love God; despise the rest for taking away from my relationship with and service to Him.

I will sacrifice for my god.  Is this god of mine God?  When I sacrifice things for God, though, it doesn't have to feel like a sacrifice.  I can delight in the fact that I have such things to give to God.

Worry is a lack of trust in God.  It is a senseless, useless, ridiculous, sin.  It'll give me something to do, but it will never get me anywhere.

"But seek first the kingdom of God, and all these things shall be added to you.  Therefore, do not worry about tomorrow..."  Matthew 6:33-34

"We should be seen doing good, but not doing good to be seen." -Pastor Dean Haun

"Too often, we buy things we don't need with money we don't have to impress people that we don't even like."

Every time I read this passage of scripture, it makes me go back and reevaluate many parts of my life, heart, and attitude.  I am truly blessed and have nothing I should be worrying about but bringing glory to God.

No comments:

Post a Comment