Monday, July 8, 2013

Mental before Physical

This morning was our first summer practice with Coach Farmer, and I was excited.  We did a 10k run we call "in-park" that has some treacherous hills.  It is a road run that goes through the campground, up to the top of the drive-around called "the heart" for its shape of grass (this is the hill that kills most people because it is so steep, long, and curvy), and to the boat ramp and back.  I enjoy this run, as it is a great challenge.

We started out running whatever decent pace we wanted, but not killing it.  I started with a two of my best running friends who are twins at a good pace with the top two guys.  I had run many times with all 4 of them, so this was a good start!  The girls started struggling, so going up the hill I went ahead with the 2 guys.  I could hear them breathing so hard from the top.  I asked the coach if I should go back to them, but he said he wasn't taking a time so it was up to me.  I went back to where they were, but still gained on them later.  After going back again, I went ahead on my own to finish.

This decision not to push with the guys was a decision that I made to help me mentally more than anything.  One of those two guys had really been making me mad, and had made some very rude comments that tempted me to respond with something ugly.  So I let them go ahead, but with doubling back a couple times, I still got a mildly fast pace done.  Even though most of the comments I had were reserved in my mind, that is still sinning because God hears it whether I say it to the other person or not.  After I got him far enough out of my sight, I felt much better inside and could carry on with less of a burden on my heart.  I didn't get as fast of a time as I could have, but right now that does not matter a bit.  Even if it had mattered, doing the godly thing is more important than my performance.

1 Timothy 4:8 says, "While physical training is of some value, godliness has value for all things, holding promise for both the present life and the life to come."  Lately, I really need to work on my attitude.  Even if I don't say something ugly, I may still think it.  That makes me feel bad on the inside, too, because my conscience knows it is wrong to do so.  Although my running performance is important to me, it means nothing without God's perspective.  By winning His prize of eternal life, I will have all the rewards I need.

No comments:

Post a Comment