Monday, June 25, 2018

Bear Fruit


  Strava


8:16 AM on Monday, June 4, 2018

I was a little off from the get-go today. At the first mile spot, I wondered why I hadn't heard my watch beep. Then I remembered that I biked the night before and didn't change my "sport" before I hit "start" this morning. Oh well, that can be fixed later! Not that I really pay attention on vacation, but it was a Monday! To make it better (sarcasm), it was super hot and windy. But when I got down to the beach, the wind had decreased to basically nothing. That makes it better for reading and things not blowing away, but it makes it so rough for sitting in the heat and humidity with no air flow! Since there are no hills at the beach, I get some extra work fighting the wind then taking a run up the stairs after I finish. It is a great view out the elevator window!

This was the first day I started my new breakfast scramble (that I have now carried home and done almost every day). Eggs, peppers and onions, avocado, with some seasoning salt (can't do avo without something yikes). Plus, being a runner, especially in the hot and humid, NEED SALT.

For my extra reading thing for today, I took down a new (actually old) magazine feature that Mom had printed off for me for one of my "wish list" gifts from Christmas. It is a feature story on Ryan Hall that was in an issue in 2008. It's all about how his faith impacts his running. You can still find it online by searching Ryan Hall The Power and The Glory! As Christians are called to be "imitators of Christ" (Ephesians 5:1-2), Ryan makes that his goal in all walks (or runs, haha) of his life. While sports can sometimes take us away from church, it doesn't have to take us away from worship. Church is simply a place to gather as believers; worship is a way of life. The church the Hall family attends is totally supportive of his faith and sport, and he puts as much into his church as he can. While there were many ups and downs throughout Ryan's career, he was confident that the Lord had a plan. He didn't always have such a close relationship with the Lord, but through some trials and wake up calls along the way, his faith grew so strong. As I have also learned, I am not a runner who happens to be a Christian; I am a Christian who happens to be a runner. I am who God made me, and He lets me run as a way to bring Him glory. Whatever we do, we are to give it our best because it is something that God has given us to use. If I am strong and have endurance and running ability, I should make it my goal to develop my talent to get to the best opportunities (big and small, near and far) to use it for Him. Not necessarily winning or beating people, but thriving and reaching people. Just like we have to train to finish races, we have to be ready in strength of faith for the goal of heaven. Every day matters.

Lunch was the most proud of a project for the summer that I have been yet. I have a list of random things that I want to get done this summer, and this was one of them. I have to stop putting things off and just do them when I get a chance! I am a procrastinator, believe it or not. This pineapple bowl literally made my day. It was so much easier than I thought, and it turned out prettier than expected! I added a little bit of the fruit from it as well as some frozen berries, mixed in some Cheetah Chomps cereal, and sprinkled on some coconut flakes to eat on the beach. If this isn't quintessential summer, I don't know what is.



My Bible study from the NOW book today fit right in: John 15:1-11, "...This is to My Father's glory that you bear much fruit...I have told you this so that My joy may be in you and your joy made complete."
What good is a plant that has no roots? It can't grow. It quickly dies. It can't produce fruit. Then no one else can receive the benefits of it. Same goes with us. When we are disconnected from our source, Christ, we don't last long. We dry up and drift away, losing our own energy and keeping others from experiencing it, too. I want to do so much with my life, but the main thing I want is to make the moments matter. I have to remind myself along the way that to make my life matter, I can't be reserved and selfish. Yes, I first have to fill myself with God's Word, but that will then power me to share with others. I always have to have balance. I need to take care of myself, but I don't like to do things if others aren't a part of it. BUT I have to remember that I have to feed myself the fruit of the Lord in order to share the good fruits with others! (It's also been on my list for over 3 years now to have a potluck Bible study brunch with fruits, using fruit scriptures like this as the theme. If my life goes the way I wish--as we know God doesn't usually work that way!--things like this would be my job. (PS let me know if you want to have a Bible study with me sometime!)


Drink of the day was also fruity: new Ocean Spray Pact! Ocean Spray with a side of some real ocean spray...is it heaven?

Dinner is one of my beach favorites, not that I can't get it basically everywhere else, but it simply seems better here. The Salsarita's we go to has a great patio we eat on complete with nice picnic tables and umbrellas, music, and flowers. I love my burrito bowls. And that Salsarita's has all the flavors of Chohula sauce for customer use.


For the night's shopping, we went to TJMaxx! They always have good swim suits, but at the beach, it's even better. I spent so long trying them on...well over 10. The main issue is that with team training, we do swim workouts, and I really want a sporty one-piece! But those things are hard to find the right fit, and being small doesn't help. Full price at a sports/athletic clothing store, those things are outrageous expensive, too, and I am not about to pay minimum $60 for one, nope. We were there way longer than expected, but it's the beach, and I am doing all I can. Next we went to Broadway at the Beach since it is open later than most places so we could go a few places that Dad wouldn't want to go. The semi-annual sale at Victoria's Secret and Pink had just started, and I got some of the best deals! This is another place that I love but will not pay full price for. These deals were GREAT! I could've bought so many more things, but I am trying to restrain my spending to things I actually need more of.
(These pictures weren’t things I bought on the trip, but this was one of my projects of the day—some of my favorite beach-theme products!)


Last stop of the night was a new dessert place that I've seen local to Myrtle and wanted to go over the past few years. There are now two shops down Ocean Blvd. Kirk's Ice CreamParlor is a long-lived, local favorite, and I can see why! They have over 30 flavors, and they are all delicious! It is one of those places that has more than the generic. Not bad price either. Two of my favorite things. Needless to say, I told Mom we had to go back. She was not opposed because I got a nutty coconut flavor and let her try. She was amazed and wanted her own later in the week.



No comments:

Post a Comment