Tuesday, June 5, 2018

Working my Way into Vacation

Instagram
  Strava


A day delayed but still passed just as quickly, it is finally the day to leave for the beach! Technically it will be around 3 a.m. tomorrow, but I consider that today. It's a long day ahead, but I know that it will pass quickly...hopefully not too quickly because I still have a lot I need to do!

The run wasn't too bad; I was so thankful for good weather yet again! It was super humid, and rain came hard later in the day. It also really helped me through the run knowing that vacation was up next! I told myself that I wouldn't have to run those hills for two more weeks, but then that was maybe not such a good thing...coming back to them would be just as killer.

I spent basically all day packing. I was a busy bee for sure. No nap, no Bible study, no laptop, just packing and cooking. I made myself breakfast, lunch, and dinner all at once so I knew I had everything done to sustain me into the closing shift at work. I could stay up later and pack if I needed to, but thankfully, I got it all done beforehand!

Work wasn't too busy as it was a week night, but it was still a pretty good flow. The shifts before me were not as OCD as I am about working through a mess and cleaning later, so I walked into a mess and spent most of my shift cleaning rather than baking. People...it's easier on you and everyone else if you are careful with food/drinks/ingredients and clean as you go...also, oil makes a mess. It doesn't mix with water. It is not easily cleaned. It makes everything slick. The longer dirty dishes sit uncleaned, the harder it is to get stuff off of them. If you leave batter on the outside of cups and squirters, gelato on scooper handles, it then gets on your hands and therefore on everything you touch thereafter...I digress.


Once back home, I ate some leftover poppyseed chicken casserole before getting ready for bed. That was short-lived. Bed around 12:45, awake again to go to the bathroom at 2:15, then didn't get to sleep too much longer before having to get up again to load the car. Sweet Dad was awake with us; he and Phoebe wished us farewell as we pulled out of the garage around 4 a.m. Needless to say I didn't sleep too well  or too much on the ride, but we ran into a traffic jam when a semi-truck had caught on fire somewhere between our Spartanburg bathroom break and our Camden breakfast stop (both McDonald's that we dare not go anywhere else...creature of habit). I had a blanket, pillow, and stuffed animal to cover me and support my head, substituting for the comfort of my bed and darkness of my room. I was half-sleeping, often woken up by Mom's huffing and puffing at other drivers and the occasional (yet restrained-volumed) road rage. I also appreciated her playing KLove instead of classic rock, even though she previously said she needed something to keep her more awake. You will see later in the week just how much this woman does for me.


At the McDonald's/gas station we go to for breakfast, I have started choosing to treat myself to a gas station coffee instead of McD because I can get much better flavors! And how often do I do that!? Maybe a couple times a year when we are traveling. Gas stations are always so temping for me to buy all the snacks!

Cool Bible study connection from the ride over! One of the daily devotions I read was on the same topic that we had just done in Sunday School the weekend before. Deuteronomy 29:29 says, “The secret things belong to the Lord.” This can give us great peace when we accept that there are things that we simply do not have the answers to. No matter how hard we try, there are things we will never understand, at least not on our time and efforts. God knows all the ins and outs of everything, and He keeps it that way. When He wants to reveal something to us, He will. We don’t have to worry in uncertainty but can have peace because He is in control. Personally, I am glad that I don’t have insight into everything. I screw things up often enough with what I do have responsibility in, so it is good that there are things God has such control over!


When we got to the hotel around 1 p.m., we walked into an entirely remodeled lobby! Unfortunately, the weather wasn't great, but it was much better than if we had come the day before! We sat on the beach for just a little bit then went back upstairs to finish unpacking and get ready to go out for dinner and groceries.


Fuddrucker's! I am not a burger person, but I will eat the one's at Fudd's. I especially like the buffalo burger. It's more expensive, but bison meat is so tasty and lean, and it is something I rarely to never get. It is the highest-iron meat, too, and I really need that. To make it better, they also have really good wheat buns and the Fudd-famous topping and sauce bar. I can load that sucker up with whatever and how much I want.


Ever since I was little, I loved going to Walmart that first night to get all the snacks and essential items for the week. It is just more anticipation for the big trip in the coming days. I was also excited to try some new foods and products that I got there. (To be featured soon, including but not limited to: Breyer's 2-in-1 ice cream blasts, Not Your Mother's Plumpfor Joy dry shampoo, and the best coconut conditioner on planet earth.)

We ended the day in my favorite beach way: dessert and watching NBA! Sadly, it is the finals already, but our evenings will usually be filled with things to do whether or not there is a game on. The past couple beach trips, Mom and I have had a fun time at night with a sweet treat and NBA or Big Bang Theory.
Unfortunately, this was also the beginning of even later nights…I guess I am a teenager/young adult in more ways than I thought.

No comments:

Post a Comment