Friday, December 19, 2014

Thanksgiving

 
Around Thanksgiving, I remembered that I had written a open about the holiday back several years ago, so I headed to my room to dig around for it. This is what I wrote:

Thanksgiving Day is here, hip-hooray!
Before we feast, let us now our heads and pray
Appreciating every family member and friend. 
The blessings we count go on without end. 
Tables overflowing with food,
Smiles across faces, all are in a good mood. 
Tummies are full and ready to pop
But everyone knows the pie is the cream of the crop. 
Making room for a slice
One bite and you won't even think twice. 
Family from all over uniting,
It's all so exciting!
Remember how lucky you are
To be blessed with so much near and far. 
Take time to thank God with praise so devout. 
This is what Thanksgiving is all about. 
















Yay for pie!  Although this year was quite different from any other Thanksgiving, I still really enjoyed it. I threw together a hodgepodge of leftovers for a small dinner, then had lots of pie!  I also added milk, yogurt, cereal, and pumpkin seeds to give it some umph. 
There is a silly song I heard on the radio once, and I had to go find it online. It's not on iTunes, but the link below will take you to a YouTube version of it. Maybe it will inspire you to eat or make some!  "Sumpkin About Pumpkin Pie"
Thanksgiving is one of those times the comics are especially entertaining. This one relates to me quite well. Yes, I went for a run on Thanksgiving morning, as I have the past two years as well, but I don't need a big food excuse! (Although that is good motivation) I just love to run. So does Frazz. 
Thanksgiving lunch this year was not the norm. Most of my family is getting older and can't travel or open up their home to an entire family anymore, so we were all on our own. Mom woke up at 2:00 with the stomach virus, so she didn't get to celebrate. --Side note: Thanksgiving Break is not a good time for health in my family!  Two years ago, Dad woke up throwing up, last year, just after my race on Saturday I got terribly sick, and this year it's mom!  Looks like Dad will be up again next year. -- Dad signed us up for Thanksgiving lunch at Regency, the retirement village where his mom, my Granannie, lives. We met her there and are in the dining hall. Cafeteria food is a little better on holidays, but it is what it is. The turkey was fantastic, and I are the carrot spice soufflé like dessert!  I got seconds on the meat and thirds of the soufflé and ate half of Dad's too!
This has been a stressful year, but really looking on it, I can't express how blessed I am. I am so fortunate to have this life that I have with such a supportive family, always putting up with me and my crap. 
This is a project we did in my Spanish class last year. I am thankful for hope in Christ!

Dad's work have their entire two plants' workers a coupon for a free turkey at Food City!  I love me some turkey!  Buddy's BBQ will roast and cut up a whole frozen turkey you bring in!  (With a small price). That's what Dad did to get ours, and it was delish!
My seasonal water cup
Snoopy calendar!  It always gives me great pictures to share, send, and post. 
What is a major holiday without watching a Chalrlie Brown movie. 
This is a drawing I made in art class my freshman year that now hangs on my wal year-round. This seemed like a good time to share it. The filling of the letters contains a little bit of many things that are blessings in my life. 
This is a copy of the original picture that I gave to Granannie a couple years ago. 
This one is even from all the way back in middle school. 
I was so excited to have a Thanksgiving animal!  I don't have any socks, but this turkey is even better!  I named him Trot, like a Turkey Trot. I'm still running, so I thought it fit. Charlie and Snoopy are also decorating my cup for the big dinner. 
I gave my secret sister from cross country this decorated container filled with some of her favorite goodies: candy corn, nuts, suckers, and brown sugar!

Now let's do something Thanksgiving is meant for, recalling memories. 

I'll caption these clockwise. 
One if my favorite pictures of myself. That is my cousin Alex's hat. 
My 3 greatest cousins from South Carolina: Peyton, Justin, and Caleb
My turkey toes 
Reading to my young cousin
A day-before-Thanksgiving walk at the park with Frisco and Mom the last time we had good weather
Snapshots from around the farm

The most recent family photo we have
Dad being Dad. I love this one!
Posing by the fence with all the beautiful scenery

A candy turkey my friend's mom made all the way back in 7th grade
Cliche caption-a "poetic" picture of the walk up to my cousin's house
With the cousins at the river and the horses in the grass
Mom's wonderful deviled eggs, even though she doesn't even like them and hates to make them
Beautiful view of the sun starting to go down on the river (which also looks like the beach)


To tie things up for the Thanksgiving in review, you should read this blog post from Ryan & Sara Hall.
 
A key thing to remember to help us be content no matter what is going on in life:  God tells us to "give thanks in all circumstances." (1 Thessalonians 5:18)
This will bring us true joy.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment