Tuesday, May 15, 2018

Life-Giving Energy

Instagram
Strava: Strava

I started out this day drained even though there were good things ahead. I had a lot to do before a wedding, grocery shopping, and work, but I ended up having a lot more time than I expected, so I took a devotion that I had gotten in an email out on the back deck. It was such a beautiful day that really helped set my mind and heart on a better track. God's Word has an amazing way of doing that.

I get the emails and follow on social media The Daniel Plan, because it is just so encouraging to living a healthy life for the glory of the Lord. This week's email was titled "Life Giving Energy" and that devotion was just what I needed! I have also been wanting to get my own health habits better, especially now that school is out, it's summer, and I'll be going away for school again next year, and running collegiality! I've always gone up and down with my health with a huge issue this time last year, so right now is a perfect time for God to really help me get it together. It's one of those inner motivations that you know can't come from anywhere else!

The opening verse was Genesis 1:29, "God said to them, 'I have given you every plant yielding seed that is on the face of the earth and every tree with seed in its fruit. You shall have them for food." Since the very beginning of time, God created the world for us to live in and live off of. He gives us all that we need. You think nature is good now? Imagine when it was perfect, and we were in perfect peace with it and God. Because of our own sins, trying to take things into our own hands (life and food), we are never fully satisfied, and our relationship with God isn't perfect (but that's why we get grace). To enjoy nature is to enjoy the simplest form of God's blessings.

This is why when you eat healthy, real food, you start to crave it more and more. It's satisfying. You feel good and good about it. Same with God. The more time you spend with Him, the more you want to and the more you learn. Just like with sin or any bad habit, with food, you have to take out the bad and replace it with good. You can't just get rid of something. It's always a struggle, but struggle is necessary to change, and it's necessary to grow closer to God. If everything was easy, we wouldn't need Him.

Change is a big fear of mine, and I have so many little habits. I like routine and comfort. But to better myself physically and mentally, I have to try new things. To be of better use to God, I have to go outside of my comfort zone, go new places, do new things, talk to new people, do things that I don't really want to but know that He is telling me to. One of the best things to keep me going is to remember that God has been faithful to give me success, safety, and joy in the past, and He will surely do it again.

I also have a hard time doing things just for me; I always want others to benefit too, so if I was going to do something to help myself just for me, I would usually put it off. To counter this, I remember that God knows our hearts and rewards accordingly. I need to take care of myself in order to take care of others. He wants me to be my best so that He can use me more and more.

"How abundant are the good things that You have stored up for those who fear You!" Psalm 31:19
He always provides! We don't have to worry. As long as we put in the effort to follow God's plans, He will fill in the blanks (or change things when we mess up because He's in charge anyways).

So now I am even more motivated to get and keep myself healthier! For myself, for God, for my family, for Chattanooga, to be a positive influence on all those that see me. I can't pour from an empty cup.
----------------------------------------------
So about this day ahead that I mentioned earlier! Turns out it could've been way different, but work is disorganized, so I never totally know until it happens.
I went to a friend's wedding at 2, and it was so great! I don't know how I am going to make it through my own wedding. The past few I've been to I almost cry thinking of walking down the isle with my dad. He has my heart already. I didn't get to go to the reception later that day, but I ran in the store real quick, grabbed something to eat at home, and went right back out the door to work. It was supposed to be at Mayo Garden Center in Knoxville. Long story short, the schedule got changed, no one told me, I was totally unprepared to take everything down there by myself, a relatively new employee was by herself in the shop on a hot Saturday night...you see many things wrong here?? So I stayed and worked the night shift with her. That was another little way God was at work. I got to help someone out, and we had a great time. That's one of the best things about my job; I get to connect with people.


Finally, there were some holidays today! National dog mom's day and national babysitter's day, and I am both! Two more things that give me joy, those kiddos and my doggo.


No comments:

Post a Comment