Sunday, November 29, 2020

Work, Worry, Rest--Weary Women in a World of Opportunity

 

 


For Weary Women in a World of Opporutnity 
--Desiring God, March 2020

Being a college/grad student with a double major in Communications and Sports, Outdoor Recreation, and Tourism, pursuing an MBA, and NCAA athletic experience may seem like the most wonderful way to have endless doors open--which it is--I feel this message on a very personal and timely level. Don't get me wrong, I love the areas I am qualified in and feel so called to continue using them to share God's power with others in daily life, but when people ask me what I want to do when I graduate, I never have a good answer. I am always working on stuff, always seeing things I would love to do, but there is no clear path right now. Opportunity is wonderful, but it can also be very nerve-wracking.

 

Think of how much greater our opportunities as women today are (and ever-expanding) compared to our grandparents and even parents. What a time to be a woman! Yet, we are still so often depressed, stressed, and not living the lives we dreamed of as little girls. We display a good life on the outside--matching outfits, decorations, being in nature, pets, family and friends, fancy coffee, you know...but really, we're exhausted. (That's me, too!! Not going to hide it!)

 

Culture's messages to empower women are great in theory--You go girl! You can do it all! Boss Babe mentality. Get that perfect man! You don't need no man! (wait what?) Often, we take it too far. We do try to do it, go us, but we try more than we trust. More personal strength than powerful spirit. Then we crash. Girl power can only get you so far. Girls also tend to have mental breakdowns, as I can attest. 

By all means feel empowered! Believe in yourself! But we should be believing in ourselves because God is within us. "God is within her; she will not fall. God will help her at the break of day." Psalm 46:5. Culture also says that "You are enough," but as a Christian, on our own, we aren't enough. 

 

When we put our identity in that life we display, we crash when it fails. And it will at times. But God never will. However, when we are downcast, it draws us to look up. "Why are you downcast, O my soul? Put your hope in God. For I will yet praise Him, my Savior and my God." Psalm 42:5. The only way to find true, lasting joy and satisfaction in life is to turn your heart away from your selfish pursuits and to God. If I let my ambitions to have a great race, buy the perfect gift, get all my homework done a day early, and post my favorite things on instagram dictate whether or not I am productive or successful, you bet I'm going to have an abundance of rough days. Shoot, I struggle to get to bed before midnight as it is. But when I make myself stop, breathe, and rest in the fact that God just wants me to trust Him and work for Him, I don't have to put on a display of my skills, just a display of my spirit. You can't go wrong that way. No one can take it from you, and it is forever protected by the Lord. While a race, hobby, boyfriend, or grade may bring you a reward on earth, a faithful spirit will bring you both joy and purpose on earth as well as eternity. 

 

So take these wonderful opportunities to be a woman in this world and use them for God's glory. Even in uncertainty, we know we have new mercies and new opportunities every day. Take it one day at a time and look for how God is opening doors right in front of you.

 

"The thief comes only to steal, kill, and destroy, but I have come that you may have life and have it to the full." John 10:10




1 comment:

  1. this is amazing post thanks for posting, this time to must visit pets food items

    ReplyDelete