Wednesday, December 4, 2013

Thanksgiving at Kits

Thanksgiving has to be one of my favorite holidays (behind Christmas, of course)!  Each year we go to my old-ish cousin's house in Greeneville, where they live on a 120 acre farm.  It's not a very functional farm anymore, but it is family land that still is home to many animals and old barns.  It just wouldn't be Thanksgiving without Kit and Gary hosting our family!
There was still some snow on the ground!  I've never had a white Thanksgiving.  When we arrived, I saw my newest cousin, Kayleigh, playing in the snow with her mom, Marenah, and their puppy.  I had to snap a photo becuase I thought this was just the most precious thing!  Little kids are so spirit-lifting when you can see them innocently enjoying all the simple things in life.  This was also the first time I have seen this little one in person.
After the big meal and desserts, we always take a walk down to the Nolichucky River at the edge of the property.  We have to be careful where we step to avoid the cow poop!  There are usually horses that I spend a lot of time petting on, but this time they were on the other side of the property and didn't come to visit.
The past 3 years, I have made an annual photo of the sun shining through the trees down on the river bank.  Late afternoon sunshine here is so gorgeous.
Like a small beach, the river is lined with sand!  No mussel shells to make it look more "beachy" this year, but even though it was cold, I still pictured spending a hot day relaxing here, so different from what I know in East Tennessee.
These are my favorite cousins!  When we were younger, we would always play together.  We only get to see each other once a year, but I just love them!  They are the most mannerly, respectful boys (now men), and give me hope for some of the guys I know!  They have all gone to/are attending Clemson in South Carolina.   Justin, the oldest and tallest in this picture, is now in medical school.  This year he has gotten engaged to a precious girl, not much taller than me, who came with him this Thanksgiving.  She actually reminds me a lot of myself!  Caleb, on the far right, is the middle child, and Peyton, on the far left, is the youngest.  When my dad and their dad, Alex, were growing up, they got to spend a lot of time together, and I love hearing all the crazy stories they have to tell from their childhood!
I almost got to pet this little guy, but he ran away right before I got to him.  Cows are just precious, in my opinion!
Here is a close up of Kayleigh and me.  At 16 months old, she is quite intelligent!  It amazes me to think that when I was young, Marenah, her mother, would play games with and read to me.  Now I am the older one, playing with her daughter.
This is my cousin Gary's guitar room.  There are 19 of them in here!  We didn't even know until he showed us this day, that he collected them.  This would be worth a lot of money!  How creative..

No comments:

Post a Comment