Monday, July 28, 2014

Two-a-Day Tuesday (Times Two)

This Tuesday, I did the two-a-day, double time.
I ran twice and had two parties!
After an indian run at practice, all the girls, a former teammate who is in town, and our assistant coach came to my house for a breakfast buffet.  I wanted everyone to feel like they could have whatever they wanted, so I put the options on a "menu" in the kitchen. 

Mom sent me this picture while I was running and she was at home setting up.  She said, "Sophie called a chair at the table!"

Here was the main buffet part with all the "This, that, and the others" from that big list.  I made the main dishes, then everyone fixed it up their own special way!

We started eating inside while the rest of the pancakes, eggs, and French toast were cooking.

Then we headed out to the back deck to sit in the sunshine!  Mom also wanted us out of the house because people stress her out.  We probably smelled, too, but we are used to it, so we didn't notice.

A group of girls also said that "the trampoline is calling my name," so they ran out there and jumped for a little while.  They tried to play dead man, but because of their laughing and therefore greater lack of coordination, it didn't work out so well!  They pretty much just laughed and hopped/rolled around, but all that matters is that they enjoyed it!

Before leaving, we had to get a group picture, of course!  Grace is missing from this picture because she had an appointment to get to, but she was there for the breakfast!
One thing our team loves to do is have Bible Study together, so I got up a few things to share after we ate.
First I went through a book that I have begun reading little bits at a time (mostly at the beach back in June), called He Walks Among Us by Richard and Renee Stearns, also the president of World Vision.  I shared some things I read in there that have hit me hard and encouraged me to be more appreciative of what I have.  There are lots of small things in this book that drop like a bomb.  That's what I like.  Short, simple, to the point, hard core, easy to remember to change a life.
For example, these are the ones I shared:
--"We find contentment once we learn to see everything in life as a gift or opportunity.  Perspective is everything.  Happiness is a choice."  This was with Philippians 4:12-13, spoken by Paul, who is one of the greatest Bible characters to follow as a servant of Christ.  Here he said, "I know what it is to be in need, and I know what it is to have plenty.  I have learned the secret of being content in any and every situation, whether well fed or hungry, whether living in plenty or in want.  I can do this through Him who gives me strength."  This is a perfect example of how we are to live as Christians.  No matter the circumstances, we have Christ, who never changes and never fails.  The worldly things should not guide our happiness; our faith in Christ should.
--"It has been said that Jesus plus nothing equals everything, and that is true.  If you have Jesus, you are a child of the King...No matter what your hardships, you are still His child, because the reverse is also true: Jesus minus everything is still everything.  If you have Jesus, anything else you posses is a bonus."
--Renee quoted a British philosopher, Edmund Burke, in another chapter, saying, "Nobody made a greater mistake than he who did nothing because he could only do a little."  No, we can't solve all the world's problems, but each and every one of us are capable of doing something!
--Here's one that hit me like a ton of bricks:  "We often seek to do big things for God rather than the small thing right in front of us."  An earlier chapter had a similar subheading:  "Cling too tightly to what's good, and we just might miss out on God's best."  This was with the story of when Nehemiah and his nearby people had to rebuild an entire wall.  The task seemed impossible, but together, with each person doing his/her part, they were able to quickly rebuild the great wall around Jerusalem.  All they had to do was fix their part right in front of them.  I had been feeling that these were things God was putting on my heart!
--I also shared the not-coincidence that I discovered at the beach with this book, my devotion, and the washing the disciples' feet quote.  "Oswald Chambers once wrote: 'The great hindrance in spiritual life is that we will look for big things to do.  Jesus took a towel...and began to wash the disciples' feet."  (I coulda swore that I posted about this once before, but maybe not; I can't find it to link it back to.)
--Next I shared how we seem to (especially me!) often pray for God to have his will in our lives.  We want His will, but it seems such a mystery...or is it?  Ephesians 5:15-17 says, "Be very careful, then, how you live--not as unwise, but as wise, making the most of every opportunity, because the days are evil.  Therefore, do not be foolish, but understand what the Lord's will is." 
Understand His will?  What!?
1 Thessalonians 5:16-18 says it plain and simple, "Be joyful always; pray continually; give thanks in all circumstances, for this is God's will for you in Christ Jesus."
Little things are actually BIG things in God's perspective!
We also shared prayer requests and anything else that came to mind to share.  This included some of the most recent struggles in Israel.
"...pray for each other so that you may be healed.  The prayer of a righteous person is powerful and effective."  James 5:16

Just a little while after the last girl finally got picked up from my house, it was time to warm up for run #2.  I have this tendency to make my runs way longer than planned when I'm on my own and feeling good, and that's what happened.  It was even better than in the morning, beautiful weather, too, so I made the most of it!  This summer, adding two-a-days has been wonderful!  I feel so much better than all years past!  (Running twice on some days isn't the only thing that has helped me, however, it's not magic, and it's not for everybody!)

Speaking of running twice not being the only thing I've changed, I have also made a point to recover better and sooner!  After camp at Furman, I have had a snack very soon after every run and workout.  That's when your body is thirsting for that fuel and will use it most effectively and efficiently.  This is one of my homemade protein bars!  Flavor:  honey nut

I feel like this accurately described our no-phone cross country camp situation.  Most of the places we went, especially anywhere near Cades Cove, had no service whatsoever.

Hula hooping is one of my absolute favorite summer afternoon activities.  It is a simple and easy "workout" for the abs, fun, and gives me time to myself to relax and browse my cell phone and social media.


Sophie chose the trampoline as the location for her evening bath.  Pets are so funny.

Here is party #2!  It was smaller and less chaotic, but with these two, still full of many laughs and funny stories.  This is my aunt Debi and uncle Chum.  They come down several times a year from Richmond, Virginia to camp/visit and help my dad out with his and her mom (my Granannie).  We grilled burgers, had veggies and dessert and sat outside and chatted until after 9:00 and dark!

 

No comments:

Post a Comment